Through the Hymns


Hello friends!

Long time no post. 

And for good reason. 

Well, maybe no the best reason. I have wanted to sit down and write oh so badly. Yet, every time I attempted to do so, there would either be some type of distraction or, the brilliant ideas that were filling my mind just minutes prior were suddenly gone. 

Why? 

I'm not entirely sure but there is a part of me that believes it was a mix of the enemy interrupting something the Holy Spirit wanted me to record, as well as God just simply needing me to wait. 

I still have plenty of content to write about but I need it to be Biblically grounded and not something rooted in emotions. That is so difficult to separate sometimes especially when the Word of God causes some of those emotions to bubble up. 

One thing that has been on my mind quite a bit is worship. Specifically musical worship. And when I say musical worship, I'm talking about those good, old-fashioned, Biblically sound, rooted in the Gospel hymns. I remember, when growing up in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, opening up my hymnal and singing these classics. Hymns vary in some with close to 20 stanzas to some with very complicated melodies. 

At my current church, I adore how we intertwine modern and classic hymns during our musical worship time. Back in the day, the hymns were just words on a page but now that I am forever changed by Jesus, the words have so much more meaning. 

I'd love to explore them with you! 

One thing I've noticed, over the years of leading worship, is that many of us (and I'm definitely including myself here) have fallen into a rut when singing these songs. They are songs that we know very well and will just sing the words because we do. We forget the context of what we are singing. We forget to focus and truly ponder the words that are coming out of our mouths. 

Do we believe them? 

Do we mean them? 

This is just one of the reasons I want to explore these ancient and modern hymns. And I would love your help! There are many hymns on my radar that I know and love and I would love to hear about the ones you love as well. Would you take just a couple of minutes to fill out this anonymous survey? 


Thank you so much! I can't wait to see your responses and begin this new blog series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment