A Sabbatical

 


Sabbatical: A period of rest.

And on the seventh day God finished His work that He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work that He had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all His work that He had done in creation. - Genesis 2:2-3 ESV
From the beginning of time God instituted and ordained rest. 

Even as God, our Creator and sustainer, the One who never tires or grows weary, He took a day of rest. This tells us that rest is important! 

Over the years, writing has become so important to me. It has been clear that this is where God wants me - in the writing world. He has given me words and thoughts to express not just on this blog but also in books and other venues where the written word is shared. It is humbling and has often had me in a place feeling extremely unqualified. However, I would like to think I am obedient, with a sprinkle of stubborn added in. 

I know God is not finished speaking through me. There are so many thoughts, ideas and things I want to express! But, I'll be honest with you - I have not been very disciplined with my time. In September, I began online university classes full time, in addition to working full time. Yowza! This was right on the cusp of God calling me to write about some topics that are typically avoided for fear of offending others. We also are in the midst of an odd season where many cities and states are locked down still and, the motivation to write comes and goes. 

My usual environment to write in is the local coffee shop and, I haven't been able to do that for months. Honestly, this is a silly excuse because I could write from my own home but, what about the laundry or the dishes or... hey... what's on the TV tonight? 

What I'm realizing is, I haven't truly taken time to rest. The pressure I put on myself to push out content is overwhelming in a season that has already weighed heavy on my soul. 

The wise thing to do is rest. 

So, I will be taking a sabbatical from posting to this blog for the next month, until the end of February. That doesn't mean I won't be writing though. I have a feeling there will be LOTS of writing! I look forward to the words the Holy Spirit will bring me and I also look forward to sharing them come the 1st of March. 

Rest and sabbatical is healthy. God told us to do it. If He needed it, we certainly do! And that could be literally taking the 7th day to rest in addition to, taking some extended, intentional time to step out of the grind and give God all your attention so He can speak to you. 

I will "see" you March 1st! 


No comments:

Post a Comment